SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimb39

Kwanzan Cherry Tree Growing Cherries???

kimb39
16 years ago

Hello! This past winter, I noticed that the Kwanzan cherry tree (that my husband planted for me as a first anniversary gift 10 years ago) had grown two new branches. By spring, the branches were actually larger than any of the branches on the tree. They look very similar, but have slight differances. When the tree bloomed, the original branches bloomed their beautiful pink Kwanzan Cherry blooms. And the two new branches bloomed white blooms (which were also beautiful--but I was I little upset,because I don't know how these branches managed to grow there. The leaves on those two branches are slightly larger than the leaves on the other branches to, which to me, sort of throws the whole tree off. So now, I have a tree that is blooming pink on the right and white on the left. And not so sure if I like how that looks, since the left side is growing more quickly than the right (the leaves are a little higher--making it look lop-sided, and I didn't want to cut anything and risk damaging the tree).Also, my concern was that the two branches grew so rapidly that they may overpower the tree, and it may die. I don't know anything about plants. Just guessing. So, today, I went out on the porch, and I looked at the tree, thinking should I call a tree doctor, and I noticed red. So I walk up to the tree, thinking it was crab apples. And it wasn't crab apples. There are some great looking cherries growing all over the two new branches that just recently sprouted onto this tree. I didn't pick any or let the kids eat any until I ask some questions. They look just like store bought cherries! Is this possible? And if so, how could this have happened? Sorry I don't have the gift of making a long story short! Any info would be so appreciated! Thanks so much!

Comments (9)