SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bradarmi

kwanzan cherry tree transplant

bradarmi
12 years ago

I purchased a kwanzan cherry tree and planted it two autumns ago. (It was in a 1-2 gallon pot and stands 4-5 feet tall.) It lived through the winters fine and this year it bloomed! I bought a maple and thought the maple would look better in that spot and I dug up the cherry tree and moved it about 10 yards over. I dug it up just as the leaves were coming out, but after it flowered. I dug up a huge hunk of earth to minimize root cutting.

About a week after the transplant, the weather got very cold here in Chicagoland and the leaves went cripsy and brown. The whole tree lost its leaves. I picked them off and noticed there are other buds coming out, so I moderately trimmed the tree back a little bit (it needed it). Other than keeping it well-watered, should I fertilize with a high N fertilizer, or just leave it alone? I dont want to kill it with kindness, but I really liked the tree.

While we are on cherry trees, the photos online show a more pink colored blossom, but the tree looked white to me. Anyone else notice variation in the blossom colors? I am going to confirm with the wife, since I apparently do not "know colors" as she puts it.

Comments (4)