SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenbug_gw

Is creating flower beds with wood chips in fall a good idea?

greenbug
15 years ago

First off I am new to gardening and my questions may sound silly so bear with me.

My yard is almost an acre and I have been trying to create flower beds (4-5 ft wide) along the boundary of the property for the last whole year, not very successfully. I tried using the rototiller and planting some flower seeds, but the weeds and grass quickly took over and all the hard work was gone waste. You may wonder why one would want so many flower beds, but the idea is to reduce the lawn area and to have more flowers/color.

I had very good success with lasagna flower beds which I created in the front yard (not at the boundaries)using newspaper, leaf mold and some top soil topped with store bought red mulch. But they were time consuling plus a lot of hard work and effort.The newspapers would blow away while I was laying them down. I couldn't even dream of doing the same thing for the flower beds along the lot boundaries.

Through the last few days, I have had this idea.

I have a friend who has a tree cutting business and will happily deliver 8 yards of wood chips to my yard.

I am thinking if I lay out the black plastic or landscaping cloth along the boundary and cover it with the wood chips, then cover with shredded leaves/grass clippings during fall and winter, then with the ice and water, by spring, I will have some good flower beds ready. There are plenty of trees on the lot so I usually have a tremendouns amount of leaves.

I know that the wood chips are not easy to decompose, but my main purpose is not to let the weeds/grass grow back and hamper my flower growing efforts.

I could always move the wood chips and plant the plants.

What is the forum's opinion? Do you think it would work?

Or should I just forget about the black plastic/cloth and spread the wood chips directly on the ground?

There is also a cluster of trees where the grass never grows. We have a picnic table and patio furniture set there, so I am thinking of doing the same thing- black plastic and then wood chips on it. Do you think this will look good?

Comments (17)