SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtippitt

Composting wood chips from tree service

gtippitt
13 years ago

I have a few questions about composting wood chips from a tree service. I've been composting for many years, but I've never had a large amount of wood chips to compost before, so I wanted to get some advice. In the past I've mainly composted lawn clippings, lots of leaves, and kitchen waste. These will normally heat up quickly and within 2 weeks have cooled enough to use around my plants for mulch and fertilizer.

A tree service was cutting limbs and saplings from beneath power lines near my house. I stopped and asked, and they brought me truck load when they were finished. I was really glad to see that the mix has lots of green leaves because they were cutting limbs and small saplings. There is about twice as much green leaves and twigs as there is white wood chips. The wood chips range from finger nail sized to pieces the size of a medium size cigar. It has enough green that after 24 hours, it is already too hot to hold my hand in the chips for more than about short time. I could not find my thermometer this afternoon to see exactly how hot it has gotten, but I'm guessing over 140 F based on past experience with other large piles of chopped leaves and grass clippings.

I'm using the chips for the bottom layer of a new raised bed for strawberries. I've put an inch of newspaper to suppress grass and 2 feet of wood chips to form the base of the bed. After this has heated up, cooled down, and settled, I'm going to top it off with 3 inches of finished compost I already have. I've read lots of conflicting info about how much the chips will steal nitrogen.

Question 1: I know the wood chips will take a long time to break down completely, which is fine by me as they prevent compaction and improve drainage. How long should I expect it to take for the mix to cool down enough that I can transplant strawberries from containers into the bed without them being "cooked"?

Questions 2: I added about 6 inches of fresh grass clipping on top of the wood chips and mixed them together a bit. Should I add a fertilizer to supply more nitrogen?

Question 3: The wood chips also have some shredded bamboo mixed in with the leaves and wood chips. The larger parts of bamboo canes have been shredded into pieces less than 1 in wide and a few inches long. The are no bamboo roots in the mix. The tips of the bamboo canes were small enough that some of them did not get shredded as the larger parts of the canes did. These shredded tip ends of the bamboo canes are up to 1/4 inch in diameter and 6 to 18 inches long pencil sized or slightly longer. Will these bits of bamboo take root and start growing if the pile has gotten hot for a few days? If one or two bits were to sprout, I could pull them up easily enough, but I don't want a raised bed full of bamboo.

I've got about 50 strawberry plants that I've been growing in 1 gallon containers since March. They are Gem Everbearing and Ozark Beauty. They were bare rooted when I planted them and did not get big enough to bloom before it got too hot this summer. They are about 18 inches tall, and I'm hoping they will give me a small crop this fall once the weather cools a bit. I also want to plant them in the ground in this raised bed before cold weather, so they will overwinter better to have a good crop next year. They currently have good soil and roots in their containers, so their roots will not be in the wood chips until they've grown and reached down deeper into the bed. Nitrogen being bound up by the wood chips will not have any effect on the plants in the short term, but I want to make sure there is enough Nitrogen so the wood chips start composting quickly.

Thanks,

Greg

Comments (11)