SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biggjoe

What's the scoop on using poop?

biggjoe
13 years ago

I'm working with a guy that raises chickens, Emus, and Peacocks. Not to mention he also raises donkeys. I've asked him about getting some of his "fowl poop" to use in my compost pile and garden and he said I can have as much as I want.

My question is, can I add the chicken, Emu, and Peacock poop directly to my compost pile now so my garden will be ready for next year? Or should I add to the compost bin and wait till next year and add to the garden in the spring?

I have a big compost bin that I'm hoping will be ready in a couple of months. Once I pull up my garden plants I would like to get the soil ready for next year by adding some compost and mixing in this fall. I'm sure I'll have compost ready this fall and I would like to get a good head start on the garden for next year. Just not sure if I should add the poop or not.

I think I've heard that chicken poop should be aged before added, but I'n not sure if that was meant for the garden or compost bin. And what about the donkey poop? Can that be added to the compost bin now? Thanks for all the help.

Comments (8)