SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

mother and child hibiscus :-)

I love, love, love the hardy hibiscuses! These two always amuse me. The large, deep pink one on the left is a seedling of one of the pale pink Disco Belles like the one on the right:
{{gwi:262519}}
They are totally different plants! The dark pink one has much larger flowers that open more widely; its leaves are smooth-textured while the Disco Belle's are coarses-feeling; the dark one doesn't start blooming until at least 10-14 days after the pale one; the pale one blooms for more than a month while the dark one only blooms for about 2 weeks. They're a good illustration of the variability you can get with seed-grown plants.

And, just because I love hibiscuses, here's another picture I took at the same time of some of the hibiscuses in the main front bed (I was standing on the road looking across the narrow 'moat bed':
{{gwi:262520}}

The pale pink Disco Belles are now starting to form the seed capsules so I need to start deadheading the seed capsules. The two negatives about hardy hibiscuses are that, like peonies, the flowers do not decline gracefully (turn to a mushy mess before dropping off if you don't deadhead at the first sign of fading....!) and I fear they'd seed around like mad so I'm careful to remove all the seed capsules before they ripen.

Comments (27)