SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Growing Roses in Submerged pots

jockewing
10 years ago

Have any of you ever happened upon the youtube vidoes of the Belendez rose garden in Santa Clarita, CA? It is the residential garden of the Belendez family, and the wife and husband have about 10 videos of their small but amazing rose garden. The entire yard is filled with hundreds of huge bloom laden 6-8 feet tall roses--nothing but roses. It is amazing how healthy and floriferous they are.

Check out this video where they show their garden after the annual pruning they do in December.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKbECYzuNY4

If you click on their username you will see other videos they have posted. I am really curious as it looks like they plants their roses into huge pots and then submerge then almost completely into the soil. I wonder why they do this and what the advantages are? Does it help with drainage? The lady narrating the video talks about how she changes varieties out a lot so maybe they do it to make it easier to swap them out. I watched one of their re-potting videos and it looks like they just use plain old potting mix--no "gritty" mix for them. She also explained how after pruning they completely strip the plants of leaves. Don't know if I've ever heard of that practice before.

Comments (14)