SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ewwmayo

Bottom watering by submerging pots

ewwmayo
8 years ago

Lately I've been watering my succulents by filling a tupperware tub partially with water (and a small amount of fertilizer) and then putting my pots into the tub. The water goes up to the surface of the soil and I let it soak for 10 minutes.

I found this gives more time for the Turface and bark to absorb water. Once my timer is up, I take the pots out and put them in a slanted growing tray to drain.

Using this method, I find watering indoors to be a lot less time consuming since I can water so many plants at once and they can all drain at once. With the higher water retention, I also found I am now able to extend watering frequency to every four days (from two or three).

Any of you doing this? Any downsides?

I've searched on and off for information on this but haven't had much luck. When you say 'bottom watering', most of the discussions are talking about setting a pot in a tray with some water and letting it wick up. This would lead to the harmful accumulation of salts.

Very plain photo of setup below, please use your imagination for the water. Thanks!

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!