SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendraschmidt_gw

Amending Soil for Veggies, How Far Down Must I Dig?

KendraSchmidt
11 years ago

I have an area that has a weird sandy-type of soil...it's not even sand, it seems to be some sort of reddish builder's product where hedges were previously planted?

I don't know how to describe it. :o(

I would like to plant vegetables there instead. I've been told that I'll have to amend the area. There are also rocks there, the farther down I dig. I assume they're there for drainage.

If I amend the...dirt there, do I have to dig far down? I've been told that with planting vegetables that I only have to dig down four to six inches to amend. That I don't need to dig two to three feet down, since they're vegetables. I'd like to know if this is advisable, and if so, do I just remove the four to six inches of sandy/pebbly dirt and then replace that with something like manure and compost? (I don't have a ton of compost, I only have one outdoor bin that is only 1/3 full.

Please, if anyone can advise, I'd appreciate it. If it's indeed possible to garden vegetables by amending only six inches of that soil, that's what I'd prefer to do. Digging down two to three feet is backbreaking work and I'd like to avoid it if possible. Please help.

Comments (8)