SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tanya_bc

Must-have soil amendments for new raised beds

tanya_bc
8 years ago

Ok, so this is my second year with a raised bed garden. Last year I would say my success rate was ...60% at best. I started with one raised bed and a number of containers as well. I had an adequate harvest, but many of the plants were stunted, did not develop fully (I'm look at you, root vegetables!) or just did not look healthy (there were a lot of yellowing leaves - likely due to overwatering. Lesson learned!).

I filled my raised bed with a 50/50 mix of fish compost (which I have now learned is quite acidic and fairly high in nitrogen because of the inclusion of wood chips/forest fines in the fish compost- which also likely resulted in the challenges I experienced). However, I neglected to add anything else to the soil at the initial stage which I realize was a big big mistake and newbie error.

I am planning to build two more raised beds (4'x8') and will be filling them with a similar mix (this time approx 40%/60% fish compost/topsoil ratio) and want to be sure that I add whatever else I need to in order to start this season well.

Does anyone have experience with fish compost? If you were starting a new bed with this type of soil mix (knowing that it is high in nitrogen and acidic), what would you add? Rock phosphate, bone meal, blood meal, alfalfa meal, glacial rock dust, kelp, dolomite lime... Is there a reliable 'recipe' and proportion that I can use? I almost feel silly asking this question..but I figure it can't hurt.

I am doing a lot of reading but I am getting overloaded with information and overwhelmed with NPK ratios.

If it helps, I plan to grow summer/winter squash, beets, carrots, peas, parsnips, kohlrabi, kale, fava beans, pac choi, spinach..

Thank you!

Comments (25)