SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ca_jeff

Good tree for a beginner in zone 10

ca_jeff
16 years ago

Hi, I've been living in this house for 2 years now (bought), and have just now gotten around to doing landscaping. I must confess, I don't have a lot of experience w/ planting/gardening, but I can follow instructions very well, and don't mind the maintenance.

I've done some research online for trees in my area, and have received a lot of conflicting info on what would be "good" for a relative beginner like me.

1. I would prefer something that's decently quick growing, reaching ~20 feet in ~5 years.

2. decent coverage in terms of shade

3. I don't mind "fall" (though I'm not sure there's really ever Fall here in southern california) cleanup.

catch:

it's long beach, where the lots are rather small, and planting area limited, my house falls into that category. the front yard where i would like to plant a tree is approximately 18'x15', WITH A POWER LINE RUNNING THROUGH A PORTION OF IT. -I've spoken with the power company about moving it, since it's cutting across my property, but feeding my neighbor's house, they were reluctant to move it, but grudgingly admitted that they can move it if it becomes a problem.

The location i'd like to plant the tree would be slightly offset, favoring the drive way, and the house, which, if the tree grew straight up, would have ~8' of clearance from the power line, at a height of approximately 10'.

Is there a tree where i can prune the branches to keep the trunk from spreading until it reaches above that height? or a tree that is fairly contained with the branches that i'd miss it?

Thanks for any suggestions you guys may be able to offer.

Jeff

Comments (3)