SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
_aiya_

Help with my Slippery Elm (at least I think that is what it is)

_Aiya_
11 years ago

I have what I believe is a slippery elm tree in our front yard. There are two issues I have and want to know if they are a problem and if so how to fix it.

1 - The trunk is split in three trunks creating a bowl in the middle. Water and leaves get into the "bowl" and it doesn't have a way of draining. It looks to me like the water and debris just rot in the middle of the trunks. Is this bad for the tree and if so how can I fix it? I wasn't sure if there was a way to drill a hole in the bottom of the trunk to let it drain without hurting the tree.

2 - Almost all of the leaves have tons of tiny holes in them. I don't recall this ever happening in the two previous years we have lived here (but my observation skills may have just been lacking as I only recently discovered the "bowl" as well) Is this a disease or insect activity? Is it hurting my tree and is there something I should do about it?

Any help on these would be wonderful! I can't figure out how to post pictures, so hopefully my description makes sense.

Thank you!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio