SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_anna_gw

Went rose shopping...again...

mary_anna
13 years ago

I recently had a trellis built. It's about 20 feet long and 6 feet high, and its actual purpose was to block my view of my neighbors' yard and porch. Being a rose groupie, I had the screened designed with lattice at the top, so that it would be a nice support for climbing roses.

I had planted Crepuscule on either end of the screen. I needed another climber for the center. I'd also already planted two Sombrueils, halfway between the Crepuscules and the yet-to-be determined center climber.

I'd made a big bed in front of the screen because, hey, I needed more room for roses. I wanted to keep roses in the bed small, then fill in around them with companion plantings. So far, I'd planted Souvenir du Malmaison, Kronprinszessin Viktoria, and Hermosa in that space, and I figured I had room for three or four more, and I was hoping to find some that would contrast with the mid-pink and white of the existing roses.

So what did I get?

For the center climber, I got Fourth of July. I think the red and white striped blooms will look spectacular with Crepuscule.

To fill in the bed, I got Scentimental, because I'm really intrigued by striped roses. I got Leonie Lamesch and Comtesse du Cayla, because those coppery colors are just so cool. I also got a Marie d'Orleans, but now I'm thinking it might be too big for my space, so I may move my Margot Koster to that bed and give Marie Margot's space.

You can tell I've lost all sense of proportion, because I was shopping in the rain for these beauties. :)

After everybody settles in and starts to bloom, I'll post photos.

Mary Anna

Here is a link that might be useful: It's Like Making Sausage: Sometimes you don't really want to know how books are made...

Comments (4)