SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcmoser

Weak Batteries in more ways than One!

rcmoser
16 years ago

Weak batteries cause starting problems IMO. Weak meaning not enough Cranking amps or getting weak from age. IMO you need at least 280 CCA to turn over a twin or medium HP LT.

My 14 hp vanguard was sluggest I knew the battery was about to go but as most of us if it cranks up it's good to go even though it's slow. At first I thought the valves needed adjusted due to it would hang and you would have to hit the start mode again.

I check my valve clearances about every two to three years and only had to adjust two or three times over a 19 year period. So a valve problem wasn't likely in my case. This engine still has 160 PSI of compression after 19 years.

Battery finely when south. Courst I could of just jumped it every time, but that was to inconvenient for me and I've got the money so why not have equipment in tip top shape.

Anyway, I Shopped for the best deal on a battery, didn't go for the cheapest, but the best CCA for the buck. I ended up with about a 300CCA battery conpared to the 180 CCA bottom crawler I had for 19.95. What a difference it made. starts like a SBC now. No hesitation or hump to get over. spins and fires quickly.

So, sometimes it just may be the battery and nothing wrong with the valves or engine. That why IMO you should always have the battery load tested first IMO this will fix 95% LT starting problems that are only a couple of years old. Unless of course you don't check or change the oil regularly???????

Comments (34)

Sponsored
More Discussions