Any Way to Attract More than Just Sparrows?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (16)
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
any suggestions for making balcony storage more attractive?
Comments (7)A wicker basket...that sounds like just the look I'd like...but do you think it could remain outdoors 24/7...stand up to rain and snow? As for the Container Store, I do love that place but have never seen anything outdoorsy looking...the only thing that might stand up would be their plastic containers I'd imagine....though I did just find this which could look a bit more outdoorsy than plastic boxes...though I'm not so keen on the black rubber look...but I will keep it as a potential item too. So thanks! Here is a link that might be useful: container store...See MoreWeak Batteries in more ways than One!
Comments (34)deeredoctor, I'm not an engineer (though I did get to sit in the engineer's seat of a locomotive once. 8^) I'm a mechanic (for about 40 years now, started at age 16 and had 1 year in trade school to that vocation). I have an incurable compulsion to read and study and experiment and build and on and on (shut up already!!!!) I have worked as a professional electrician (2 year stint with a good sized electrical contractor in the early 1980s) and as a welder (1 year at trade school to that vocation). You are correct to point out that the OEMs don't always "get it right the first time". I have seen addendums to the addendums of Factory Service Bulletins throughout the years that make you wonder just how many committee members were actually in attendance when the first bulletin was written. You are also correct in that many things do come down to a "matter of choice" in how one does their work/projects and such. I don't want you to think I was belittling you or the work you have done. I just wanted to make sure every reader got the point about what a fuse/fusible link/circuit breaker is needed for and why it really should be a detail to consider when modifying circuits on ANY type of electrical system. Just as I would NEVER suggest anyone remove or defeat any overcurrent device provided by an OEM, neither would I suggest that new or add-on circuits be rendered without addressing the aspect of short circuit/overload protection. Your highlighting the odds of getting struck by lightning are good too. We all know that it could happen and thus don't (I hope) do things to to increase the chances of being a "lightning rod". Glad you mentioned the part about Ford (though probably not the only OEM "guilty" of being off the predicted mark). That their fuse DID NOT prevent every possible scenario shows (at least to me) either the original estimate of amp draw in that circuit was wrong...or somewhere between concept and production, the parameters changed (like maybe the ampacity of those ignition switches or the associated wires on it) and nobody caught that or went back to change the rating of the fuse/fusible link....See MoreIndigo Rose - More than just a novelty ? Taste ?
Comments (42)Sey, "I did not get the eggplant connection" Anthocyanins and other flavonoid chemicals are concentrated in the peel of the eggplant (and the stem of tomatoes) giving eggplant in the common varieties the purple color. Native Mesoamericans may have bred anthocyanins out to domesticate the edible garden tomato, or it may never have been there; Indigo Rose may get some of its color from expression of stem skin on the fruit by some clever directed breeding that originally produced purple in the stem, either way, from anthocyanins. If you eat eggplant skins or tomato or eggplant stems you will get far more of the nutritional value which was the motivation of Indigo Rose in the first place. What is left for me is just the ornamental value of the plant and taste. The concentration of this class of chemicals is in the vicinity of 1300 ppm in eggplant peel and nearly the same in stem. Anthocyanins and related chemicals were most successfully introduced into tomatoes as a GMO in a joint Euro-British project in 2008. What is left is flavor... Anthocyanins and their related sugary bound forms are found in blueberries in a fairly specific profile, about 20x more concentrated vs. Indigo Rose. The indigo-blue tomato developed by the joint British/Italian group has about 100x the anthocyanin content by weight percent vs. OSU's Indigo Rose indigo-blue tomato! Anthocyanin containing wild Solanum berries (sometimes called wild tomatoes in the sense a chimp is a wild man LOL, as researchers argue evolutionary and reproductive similarities and differences) were first characterized as far as I knew around 1962 by Charley Rick, the Univ. of California Davis, humble guy who rode his bike shirtless around campus and was the original world tomato expert, and who was undoubtedly a resource in the early days of conception of Indigo Rose. A bright graduate student was responsible for beginning the project that led to Indigo Rose with his faculty adviser, and the student brought some seeds from Seeds of Change, a high carotenoid line, where he had worked when it was recently taken over by the Mars Candy Company. This complemented wild and hybridized lines from the Charles Rick Center at UCD, and the garden tomato variety chosen to carry the alien genetics (wild stuff) was the English heirloom Ailsa Craig. A generation of students later the project was finished, four years after the Euro-British team had theirs by express GE technology using two single snapdragon flower genes to get the far superior anthocyanin yield and alleged superior taste to conventional varieties, which is or was being commercialized in Canada to make purple tomato juice and pizza sauce last I heard. Micro-Tom, a 1989 dwarf red variety from Univ. Florida ( :-) ! ) was apparently used as their original variety to receive the snapdragon flower's two genes, though it appears to me that it might now be crossed. I don't know the current status since the entrepreneurial head of the Canadian operation, from Leamington, the tomato capital of Ontario, was murdered recently under unexplained circumstances in Brazil, where he might have been scouting down a lead for an improved grass that can produce high yields of ethanol that outdo corn. I went through this to simply explain my understanding of the two different tomato programs since then I think you can better understand my opinions on taste and why I'd actually prefer the European GMO blue tomato. The OSU variety so far contains large sections and genes from Solanum lycopersicoides, a wild Solanum that has no available information to show it is safe in our diets. Similarly, I'm not aware another of its parents, S. chilense, is even edible either. It is the contribution to flavor that all the alien DNA and resulting expression of wild biomolecules these alien or so called 'wild' genes have that I'm sure are responsible for the taste I find awful and don't really want to eat. A critical distinction is that the anthocyanins are not responsible for the off-taste themselves. On the other hand, the European variety only has the two specific alien anthocyanin (purple-expressing) genes from the flowers, a surgically precise trait without any baggage, in a completely otherwise garden tomato. I'm cautious about believing super-flavor claims but also see it is much more achievable. Bottom line for my opinion only, is that until Indigo Rose goes through many generations more of selective breeding for flavor, it is the only tomato I ever met I spit out and make a face :-(. For the minority that post they like it, I'm very pleased to hear it! lgteacher, As for the GE background of Indigo Rose, the brilliant developers of it are quick to point out that it has not been genetically modified, and I'd be ok with that it weren't being promoted as if the biotech techniques developed for making GMOs, which themselves require extensive production of research GMOs to elucidate all the gene functions they pieced together to make the final conventional product. Whether the OSU team did it or relied on others' research seems irrelevant to me. To get the accurate story rather than reading what are marketing (press releases etc.), I'd ask who funded the research besides taxpayers, and maybe the original grad student who worked on Indigo Rose who might now be a lead strategist at Monsanto for integrating worldwide Capsicum (Pepper) traits that Big Ag feels are important, you never know ... and if he talked, he might have a unique perspective on the history of the project! Don't get me wrong, OSU had a brilliant academic project, it is only the marketing...and poor flavor that make it a zap except for a nice ornamental until someone gets one of those deep, solid, vivid indigo British tomato nuggets to share, the only game in town for us so far. Cheers PC...See MoreHelp! My new oak flooring has way more active graining than o
Comments (9)"if we had it re-sanded and just put coats of oil-based poly down, would it help minimize the wild graining" No. "A second question is, why is this wood so much more grainy?" Is the whole floor that wild or just this area? Wood varies ... he should have mixed boards from various boxes to break up clusters like this into wild boards here and there. If the mill that cuts the boards sends them straight to the tongue and groove machines and then straight to the boxes you can have boxes that mostly came from the same tree, or chunk of tree, with similar grain. " He used "select or better," which I would assume wouldn't have quite so much graining to it, but I am new to this." http://www.sandmanfloors.net/Oak_Flooring_Grades.html the oak grading refers to the knotholes, mineral marks, etc. not grain patterning. What you have is select or clear...See More- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

COLOR8 Ways to Rev Up Your Garden Color With More Than Just Plants
Bring energy and excitement to your outdoor space by going bold with color, from small touches to big changes
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESBranches and Twigs for More Than Just Decor
Think beyond the vase with twigged-out railings, gates, room dividers and more
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNIn Austin, a Backyard Wall Provides More Than Privacy
Designers solve a common privacy problem — and create some unexpected play — with a clever screening solution
Full Story
COLORYou Said It: ‘Adding Color Is About So Much More Than Shock’ and More
Highlights from the week include color advice, Houzzers helping Houzzers and architecture students building community housing
Full Story
COLORWhy You Should Paint Your Walls More Than One Color
Using multiple colors can define zones, highlight features or just add that special something
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Victorian's Beauty Is More Than Skin Deep
A London home keeps its historic facade but is otherwise rebuilt to be a model of modern energy-efficiency
Full Story
COLOROpposites Attract: Complementary Color Combos
Use the power couples of the color wheel — blue and orange, purple and yellow, red and green — to spice up any decor scheme
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME9 Ways to Boost Your Home’s Appeal for Less Than $75
Whether you’re selling your home or just looking to freshen it up, check out these inexpensive ways to transform it
Full Story
STORAGE10 Ways to Get More Storage Out of Your Space
Just when you think you can’t possibly fit all your stuff, these storage ideas come to the rescue
Full StoryMore Discussions




Pat Z5or6 SEMich