SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcmoser

20 year old Briggs Vanguard leaking crank seal; Update

rcmoser
14 years ago

OK, had a couple of hours free time this weekend and it was so nice after I mowed my yard I desided to pull the vanguard twin and replace the crank seal. took about 30 min. to get it off. most of that time was spend on getting one mount bolt loose above the Drive tension pulley and getting the crank double pulley off.

Once off, I had to clean up the frame ("O" yes looking for cracks on my 20 year old LT4000 frame, none noted), cleaned up the bottom of the engine, polished the crank, and cleaned up the exhaust flanges. The Garlock seal (oil seal) popped right out with little trouble.

OK, I didn't want to damage the seal so I looked around and found old yard umbrella pole that was the exact size of the outer seal housing. Squared it up, sanded it and used it to drive the new seal in. course I had the old seal sandwiched between the drift tube and the new seal so I wouldn't damage it.

Once the seal was in took about 20 mins to install the engine, fill with oil and gas, and inspect my work. Runs like a top and so far no leaks noted.

Only problem areas was the mount bolt above the drive tension pulley. Could of done it in less than an hour if I wasn't a clean freak oil changing nerd.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions