SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcmoser

Found another oil leak

rcmoser
14 years ago

Well, my vanguard has another oil leak, trickling down the left side of the head on down to the crank. Which was probably the orgin of my crank seal leak, especially after I replaced it and didn't really see anything wrong with the old one. But 20 year old engine with alot of hours on it, didn't hurt nothing to change it and I done some other stuff when I had the engine off.

I studied the engine diagrams and came to the conclusion that the only thing to cause this oil leak was the breather valve gasket right between the two heads. On a horz. engine this would probably never leak that bad cause gravity would force the oil back down to the crank case. But, on a vert. engine some oil is constantly laying at the bottom of the valve.

Well, my theroy was correct, I disassembled the air filter brackets and braces enough to get the breather valve out from behind the carb. without removing the carb.. Sure enough could see where the oil was coming from. I cleaned up the valve and rubber gaskets (was able to reuse them), cleaned the block and valve, used alittle RTV and resealed the breather valve which didn't cost me a dime except my time.

All is well now 20 year old 14 hp vanguard runs like new and don't leak. I am convenced I cannot wear this engine out if I do my part.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
More Discussions