SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treefrog99_gw

Did I seize my 9HP Briggs Vanguard Engine?

treefrog99
16 years ago

Hi,

I have been working on this 9hp Vanguard engine on a BCS 2 wheeled tractor I picked up for free. It has a snow blower attachement. It had some issues which I seemed to work through and got it to start and run. I have been running it for short periods, 5 minutes at a time, just to test the starting etc. Today, I gave a metal scheeching and I shut it off right away.

I could turn it over but it was very hard to turn. After it cooled, I could not turn it with the pull starter.

I checked the oil level and it was over flowing and the oil was THIN and a sort of dark grey color. It smelled funny too...I guess it smelled like it has gas in it.

So, I am concluding the engine is seized. Can somebody tell me if this means the piston is seized to the cylinder walls or is the crankshaft seized to the connecting rod??

Tomorrow, I am going to get some Marvel Mystery Oil and put some in the sparkplug hole and let it set for a few days.

If that does not work, I may try filling up the crankcase to a level that will let the crank/conn-rod soak.

How does this sound, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County