SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joebar_gw

question for the experts:

joebar
13 years ago

i have a Viking Queen climber that has been with me for about six years in a spot beside an arbor.

it is own root and was very vigorous in it's first four years quickly reaching what i believe is its maximum height and length of around 8-10 feet. it has covered the one half of the arbor from the bottom to the top.

this rose has been pampered like no other and blooms from laterals one foot off the ground evenly to the top.

in the last two years i have seen a noticible lack of vigor even though i prune it correctly, but not too heavily.

my question is this: should i perhaps give a portion of the rose a hard pruning in the spring and see if it re-stimulates the plant? i have heard some say that climbers need occasional hard prunings and thinning out to give them a boost.

it truly is a gem when it is in its zone.

ty for your advice.

P.S. i should also mention that for some reason, this season the bush has produced a number of blind shoots and isn't as floriferous as i recall. the poor spring could be a factor.

i should also say that this rose has never had a disease problem of any sort until this year; downy mildew became a bit of an issue for the first time.

Comments (7)