SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slazin

Sinking raised perennial/shrub beds

slazin
11 years ago

My back yard was solid hard-packed sand when we moved in, great drainage but that's all. So I built raised beds for perennial and shrub beds. It's taken 5 years. (Big yard!) I noticed the soil level in the 1st beds I made starting to sink, so in the later beds I put layers of broken up styrofoam to support the soil, and that's working well. Not as much sinking.

But the earlier beds have sunk about 3". Do I need to dig up the perennials and shrubs to put in more soil under them? Or can I just add more soil gradually to the plants and expect their roots to push them up to the optimal level? (I read once somewhere that lily bulb roots push or pull the bulb to the level where it's happiest.)

The reason I don't see this question as self-evident is in wondering about shrubs and trees in forests. We live in the PNW, and there is certainly a heavy layer of needles, arbutus leaves, etc that blanket the soil every year, and wild plants don't seem to rot at the crowns.

I'm not trying to avoid the work, just the possible stress to plant roots and plants. Any thoughts are most appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Comments (5)