SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowang_gw

Yet another posting for help with selecting a riding mower

snowang
11 years ago

I know you guys must've seen this topic a thousand times, but since each person may have a different need, I thought it would still be worthwhile asking this question again. We have 1 acre of front and back yard to mow and in this area it's about twice a month from May to Oct. We've been using mowing service (only $40 each time because of the competition) but my husband wants the fun of a riding mower (don't get me started on that one) and I have grudgingly agreed. Our budget is $1,500 to $2k. We have done some research on the different models and initially wanted a Husqvarna (e.g. Husqvarna 24-HP V-Twin Hydrostatic 48-in Riding Lawn Mower) because of the cost-efficiency, generally good reviews and also the tons of Lowe's gift cards we have. Lately though hubby has been saying that John Deere might be better. Not sure if he's just going for the name.

We have a flat front yard and the back yard is generally flat but with a 5 to 15 degree slope down from the drive way. This is becoming a concern for me because when we borrowed a neighbor's Arien (probably less than 20 HP, though) to haul an aerator, it could not climb up or even make a turn at the bottom of the slope. I've heard from some that even the higher HP Husqvarnas may have this problem.

We would also like something that's not going to take too long to mow. Seeing my neighbor nearly every night of the summer weeks on his crawling Craftsman was almost amusing. Sometimes I felt like kicking it in the rear end so it doesn't look as slow. We already have a snow blower so the mower will be doing primarily mowing and maybe a little bit of towing like for aeration.

So for those of us who are not that savvy when it comes to mechanics and can't afford to spare a lot of time (between kids and jobs), what would be the best bang for the buck that fits our need? Or even better, please convince my husband to keep on using the lawn service!

Thanks!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz