SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjdeez

Toro riding mower trouble starting

14 years ago

First, I don't know much about engines. I have a Toro Z5000 riding mower, about 2 yrs old, and this season it has trouble starting. Battery cables were not disconnected over the winter.

I turn the key, engine starts to crank, I can see the flywheel(?) starting to turn, it almost starts up, then it seems to lose its juice and I hear what I'll describe as an electrical buzz, maybe the starter mower getting power and not turning. At this point I stop trying to get it to turn over, and give it a 1 minute cool down.

2 wks ago when this started, I didn't have my voltmeter around, so I don't know what the battery was then. I was able to jump it from my car with no problem. I let it run, hoping the alternator would charge it. That didn't work because a few days later I was only barely able to get it started again. A cheap battery charger said the battery was already charged.

Finally got my voltmeter back, and V_battery is around 16 or 17V, with the mower on or off. I have good connections of battery cables to the block, etc.

Any suggestions? Does this mean the battery is bad, or that the alternator is trying to charge it to too high a voltage?

Also, does this explain why it has trouble starting? I know more voltage doesn't necessarily mean more power, but I'm just curious if there's another issue besides high V_Batt.

My charger has a "check alternator" function. Haven't tried it yet though.

Engine is a Kohler SV610S.

Thanks / sorry for the long post.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths