SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fred96

toro gts mower 6.5 hp engine will not start

fred96
15 years ago

I have the above mentioned mower with a 22" deck on it and I cannot get it to stay running. I purchased it from the woman we bought the house from, and she included the instruction manual and everything, I just don't know WHEN she purchased it. But judging by the looks of it, it seemd like a relatively newer mower(maybe three years old at that)

I put fresh gas in it, changed the oil, spark plug, and air filter and the only way I can get it to fire at all is if I take the Air filter off and pour gas directly into the carb. Even then it will only fire for a second or two before shutting down. The only way to keep it running is to push the primer while it is going. So my thought is that the fuel line might be clogged. I did not run my engine dry last year because I thought I was going to get one more cut in before the winter hit, so I'm told that stale gas could be the problem.

However, I have a firend who has the same mower and he did not run his dry last year either and the damn thing started right up this year. I'd rather not have to take this anywhere to get it fixed becasue I'm really short on cash right now. Can anyone help?

Comments (20)