SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veggieholic

Hairy Vetch Cover Crop

veggieholic
15 years ago

I am trying to improve my soil, which is quite poor in nutrients and heavy clay in structure. I have done a variety of things to improve the soil and one of the things I would really like to do is to plant a series of cover crops. I had planned to sow buckwheat in late august, then a mixture of hairy vetch and oats in mid september. However, due to a mixture of weather and time constraints I wasn't able to stick to the schedule. I didn't get the buckwheat planted until about a week ago, and it has sprouted now but is still very small. I'm not sure now if I will have enough time to plant the vetch/oats this fall. My question is, is it possible to plant the vetch in early spring? All the advice I have read talks about planting in early fall, and I'm sure that is ideal. However, if I don't have time to plant it this fall before the frosts begin, would there be any benefit to planting it in early spring and letting it grow however much it can before mid-may or should I just store the seeds in a good dry place and save them for next fall?

Thanks!

Comments (8)