SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fidgiegirl

Many mulching questions from a MN novice

fidgiegirl
14 years ago

Hi all

Have been doing a lot of reading and experimenting this summer about all kinds of organic gardening/permaculture/etc. I came to realize our soil was crap and that we needed to supplement it with organic material.

I read that thick mulch was great for getting more organic material in as well as for water conservation and weed suppression, so we got a truckload of wood chips and put them about 3-5 inches thick on all of our beds. This has been very effective for the summer, but then in my continued reading I came across advice to AVOID woodchips because they don't actually break down very fast to add anything valuable, as far as nutrition, to the soil. Yikes! The chips are already in place.

So this brings us to the current dilemma. We have lots of trees and would like to add the leaves to the beds in order to improve the soil. Should we put the leaves on top of the woodchips, or strip off the woodchips and put leaves down instead? And then would we put the woodchips back on or just save them for topdressing for next summer?

Then, in the spring, do we need to strip off the leaf mulch to let the plants get going, or are they strong enough to poke through a thick layer?

AND, can we leave the leaves on the grass to improve that soil, or will that just kill the grass?

Thanks very much!

Comments (6)