SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Clear plastic mulch and general plastic mulch questions

plantslayer
15 years ago

Hello everyone...

So, from what I am able to find out online, clear plastic mulch actually heats soil up faster and to a greater degree than even black plastic, since moisture on the plastic creates a greenhouse effect, allowing sunlight in but blocking reflected light and heat from escaping. The downside to using it of course is that weeds and other plants get lots of light. Has anyone used clear plastic to heat up soil?

A lot of books and people on GWeb talk about using plastic mulch to heat up soil before planting. What I am wondering is, if I don't want to have the plastic there all through the growing season, at what point can I remove it? If the ground gets warm, and I replace the plastic mulch with a non-conductive insulating mulch (like newspaper or straw), will the soil underneath continue to stay warm for a long time afterwards?

Basically I just want to use plastic to get the soil warm for a couple of plantings so I can set them out early, but I don't want to keep it in the garden when the weather turns warm.

My info on clear plastic mulch and heat comes from here: http://plasticulture.cas.psu.edu/P-Mulch.html

Comments (4)

Sponsored