SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Herbicide damage question

aliska12000
14 years ago

My sweet unknown rose I love so much bloomed for first time this year, posted photos, has the leaves on the tips of three of the best new canes curled/deformed. I'm sure it's herbicide damage. It's either 24D or Weed 'n Feed; it was done over a week ago and longer for the Weed 'n Feed, son thinks it was the 24D and it wasn't windy plus he sprays low to the ground.

I tried to run around and had big hard plastic to protect or beg/insist my helpers do it; they weren't careful enough, but people helping you get impatient with that. My son has a backpack sprayer which is too heavy for me, and the pump I have would take forever. My son gave me a little spreader that throws stuff out the sides, it's small enough that I can handle that even on the terrace if I don't try to do it all at once. But no way am I going near any beds with that, am going to check with ext office about Grub X, that should go in the beds and lawn because that's where a lot of the JB larvae are and going to be. Was told it has to be done in July just B4 they start hatching.

Can't even think about Milky Spore until next spring and don't know if it will work here, very expensive I've read. At least that won't hurt anything. My violet alley I loved got hit really bad, usually Roundup things would come back the next year, don't know what neighbor used, but it has ruined all that. Some are trying to come back but are small and unhealthy.

Also damaged my forsythia and couple other things that don't matter so much, got hit with Roundup (not mine) a couple years ago, came back. Didn't figure out what happened until the damage started showing. I don't care that much about it. But it got it again, too. Odd it shows on the higher tips when leaves closer to the ground don't show damage. The rose throws out canes that arch, so that would make sense.

I know, I know. I felt I had no choice and was desperate and hated doing it because of the cat, kids, pets, cat seems fine, but who knows? The yard had almost been taken over by weeds, this horrid clover I doubt I'll ever get rid of and another invasive never had before, dug tons of dandelions and hardly made a dent in it, just about every darn weed there is in the midwest.

Should I cut off the newest canes or is it too late, probably gotten into the system of the rose already? The rose should be fairly tough but it's young.

And there's still stubborn weeds, needs a second app. I could try to borrow my son's sprayer and only put 20# or less in it adapted to proper ratio, would be hard though, would cover as I go. It just makes me weary thinking about it all, yard is small but difficult.

Comments (4)