SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ernie55

Murray rider missing

Ernie55
10 years ago

I have a Murray rider with a 12 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. My mower is 15 years old and looks practically new. It has never been to a repair shop except recently. It refused to stay running and was leaking oil out the muffler. Took it to the only shop around me that work on a Murray. The shop owner took the carb apart, cleaned it, replaced the needle, re adjusted the governor, drained the oil several times cause gasoline had seeped into the crankcase and charged me $109. I started it at the shop and idled fine. Got home and once the blades are engaged and the mower is moving, it makes a kind of popping and misses except on 2nd gear. I took it back to the shop and the owner replaced the carb with a used one but in working condition and still had the problem. He says that ruling out the carb then the engine may be shot. he did not charge me for the second visit and put back my old carb. I just mowed my lawn and as long as I keep it on 2nd gear, the motor barely skips and actually sounds ok. Any thoughts about that skipping?

This post was edited by Ernie55 on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 17:43

Comments (18)

Sponsored
More Discussions