SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

How are you doing in the blizzard?

I woke up at 3 this morning (not purposely, I just do) and still hoping everybody was wrong in their predictions, looked out the window.

Sadly they are right.

It is coming down heavy.

Up to 22 inches predicted in my area by some.

I hope I don't lose power so can continue using computer. Altho strong gale force winds are also predicted thru midnight Wed.

ACK

Oh to be in Texas - where I used to live. Then this would only be a storm to watch on tv, not to experience.

hope you all are safe and warm.

I saw 2 cats yesterday running. It's unusual to see cats run. I guess they know the storm is coming. I hope they found shelter.

Comments (48)

• Ann
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ellen, I feel your pain. Here outside of DC, we had 24 inches last weekend and now another 10 to 15 inches on top of that is predicted for today. I am about to raise the white flag and surrender...I need Spring!

• albertar
    14 years ago

My hubby said it started here about 1:30 am,its coming down very heavy now, I'd say a good 2-3 inches an hour. Stay safe all, its going to be a mess out there.

Alberta

• Related Discussions

How far apart do you space them? How big do you let...

Q

Comments (1)
    Well..if you trim the huge ones they will be shrubbyier.If were planted close I imagine could grow as hedge if that was an a idea.They all grow a lil different and also depends on the soil.the richer& moisture the better it is. I don't have any grown together,but have thought about it.I have a few stand alones,but most are like a backbone stuck here& here& there.I had one grow 10 ft this year....and next year I'll keep that one shrubby.The 1st yr hubby "accidently" topped it in half when it was just reaching 2 ft.I actually liked the way it grew that way better.It had alot more flowers,but we were dryer this year also.
    ...See More

Blizzard - and why you seldom see a very large one...

Q

Comments (16)
    I recently saw a photo of Blizzard that was growing in a woman's yard in Canada. She grows all kinds of hostas and, when I saw it, I thought I have to have that. It was huge and very nicely streaked. I still want to try it if, for no other reason, the bright color and size.
    ...See More

Shopping for a [ahem] "blizzard"

Q

Comments (84)
    With all the talk of cookies and cookie dough I couldn't stopped laughing after seeing debrak's photo!! (and of that super-loaded corner one id'd upthread with dibs! And as far as rescuing cookies visiting the floor, agree with annkh -especially since if I can cut the burnt bottoms off, I can and would just wipe them off if needed! Springroz - Just loved that shot of JR pulling the sleigh - ooohh just gorgeous! a2gemini - glad to see someone mention the blizzard of 66. As a young teenager my older sibs and I spent many extra days at home alone when our parents were stuck returning from an out-of-state funeral. They were nearly killed on the interstate and were lucky to get the last room at a motel. Snow levels were 8 feet with drifts over 12. As far as stocking up, I've often wonder if our interest in stocking up is a leftover evolutionary behavior...cannot for the life of me recall the actual term/phrase. I did only my regular shopping a day early, but did feel pressed to go before rather than after! Interesting thread! ...
    ...See More

Do Any of You Make Your Own Milkshakes or Blizzards?

Q

Comments (11)
    I used to make malts. Kept malt powder on hand for them. Funny story. I took care of an old man named Ken for 8 years. He could be very difficult and was set in his ways. He used to send me to get milkshakes for him. He always said, "No malts! Milkshakes! I hate malts." So I would get a malt for me and a milkshake for him. One time when I was ordering them, I forgot and said, "Two strawberry malts." Then I realized what I had said....but I let it go at that. When I gave it to him, he said, "That is the best milkshake I have ever had." From there on out, I just ordered malts for him.
    ...See More
  • karendee
    14 years ago

Ours was not too bad. I was kind of hoping they would close schools (I work in a school)

Stay safe everyone!

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yesterday at 4, a teacher told me her school had already been closed.
    I think everything in NJ is closed.
    I'm listening to the radio, and I'm impressed that those guys got in!
    Where I live - central Jersey - is right on the line of this storm, south of us is rain.
    At the moment it is actually snowing very lightly.
    However, am not yet celebrating, apparently there is another storm behind this.......

• glad2garden
    14 years ago

It hasn't started here yet, but I just talked with my sister who is about 3 miles away and it's coming down. So it won't be long. We haven't had much snow this winter, so I'm actually looking forward to it. Got my snow shovel waiting inside the door!

• carmen_grower_2007
    14 years ago

My planted milk jugs are all happy and snuggled under several feet of snow. They can't even blow anywhere!

• ruthz
    14 years ago

ellenr, Texas has been a little different this year too.
    I'm just about 5 minutes from DFW airport.
    It's 34 degrees right now and we're expecting some snow tomorrow. We've had an unusual amount of below freezing temps.
    this year. I'll still happy to take that over what you have.
    My FIL was in the hospital in York, PA and they let him go home yesterday because of the weather. They had wanted to keep him another day or so.
    Hope you all have lots of popcorn, hot chocolate and firewood.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Ruth,
    yes my friend in Houston was very happy they got below-freezing weather this year - so it kills off some of the mosquitoes she says.
    PA is really getting hammered. Hope your fil is alright.

My friend came home from the hospital yesterday. just before the storm. I would have thot she'd have preferred to stay in for another day or two, cuz right now, if she has an emergency, even an ambulance cannot get through.

• monipsych
    14 years ago

Here in Pittsburgh we had about 20 inches and now about another 8 inches last night and still snowing. The kids have had no school all week and boy do we feel snow bound.My DH actually asked if my WS plants would be OK.... :)

• terrene
    14 years ago

It just started snowing lightly here in metrowest Boston. They are predicting between 6-12", hope it's closer to 6.

It's been a moderate winter so far this year, which is just fine with me. I am pretty amused that areas south of here have gotten more snow than we have!

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

Snow started and wind picked up here in north central CT 2 miles south of the Mass. state line about 15 minutes ago. Tiny flakes at first but getting larger now. They're calling for 8-12 inches by the time it ends sometime after midnight. It wouldn't be bad if the wind didn't kick up so high but the combination...well it's not a best-case scenario. I filled a pan with water and will recheck flashlights.
    Hope everybody stays warm and dry and safe.

• sapphires3
    14 years ago

Well, we still had the better part of the 2.5 feet we got this past weekend on the ground when this all started last night.

Luckily school and DH's work were cancelled today. The roads are bad, bad, bad.

My 3 year old birch trees are buried up to their first branches, and I can't find my spirea at all. My scotch brooms look like weeping willows.

The kids have a bunch of great little snowmen, though. It's good packing snow. Something about making a big godzilla snowman next to terrorize all of the little ones???

I just have to look out the window and laugh - it's the only thing to do when you can hardly see the front porch. . .

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    14 years ago

I'm with kmpsmom, it's time to surrender. We're between Philadelphia and Baltimore and got about 27 inches last weekend. We probably have another 10 or so now and it's still coming down hard. DH owns his own business and his guys did as much of their Wed. work on Tuesday that they could and they're closed today. No one should be out in this that doesn't absolutely have to be. I drove home from work in it last night and the normal half hour commute took an hour and a half. After just a few hours from the start of the snow there were about three or four inches on the roads.

C'mon spring.

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

Escaped the last weeks storm with only 6 inches here.
    Woke up this morning to 6 inches, now I estimate 14 inches and the heaviest they say is still to come in.
    I don't mind playing in the this snow, it's light, but with up to 40MPH winds overnight tommorrow morning isn't going to be fun.
    School was cxl'd at 9pm last night and I called off work, I haven't seen a PENNDOT truck since about 10 this morning.
    So far shoveled 3 times today, have the gear drying infront of the woodburner, then I will go out again.
    Might even drag out the roof rake, gees I haven't used that in 10 years, hope all the sections are handy.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Authorities are worried about the weight load of snow on the roofs. Some people and places are vulnerable, probably moreso the flatter roofs. Occasionally it becomes an issue where I am for some; I never worried about it too much but maybe I should.

There's no way I can get snow off mine myself; remember one bad year, my father did some on theirs. He was an engineer and thought about things maybe some didn't.

Last year it became a serious issue for people in Washington State, the eastern part, and I think a couple did collapse. They got snowed in about as bad or worse as it sounds some places in the east now.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Cary, PA,
    I don't envy you, I think you are in one of the areas to get the most snow for a 2nd time.
    Snow is very light here, I wonder if that 2nd storm is coming.
    I have nowhere I have to drive to, but would like to get out and take a walk.
    It doesn't seem to be too cold.
    OK, I'm going for that walk.
    If you don't hear from me in 2 hours send out the hounds with the brandy!

ellen

• topie
    14 years ago

{{gwi:355140}}

Still snowing here in PA...hope everyone gets home safe!!!!

• Ann
    14 years ago

OK it's been a rough day here outside of DC, about another 8-10 inches but with blizzard like winds. My little miniature schnauzer is fortunately black so I can keep track of him when he goes outside because the little path he and our Boykin Spankin made around the yard is below the level of the snow. I'm ready for my girls to be back at school (they've been off Monday, Tuesday, and today and school's already cancelled for the rest of the week. Our power flickered a little while ago but I'm praying hard we don't lose it - it could be 5 or 6 days before they get to use...Anyone else ready to lose his or her mind with all of this mess? Hoping to be WSing sometime again soon...Ann

• Ann
    14 years ago

Follow-up to my earlier message - they have the earth moving machines out pushing the snow and slush out of the street up onto the grass strip between the street and the sidewalk. The only problem is that there's so much snow that it's falling over onto the strip of sidewalk that all the neighbors had cleared after last weekend's snow. Now there's no place to walk and we'll have to shovel tons (almost literally) of hardened snow off the sidewalk (again!). I definitely have the blizzard blues. Anyone from the DC area second that? Thanks, Ann

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

I may have to eat these words come morning but as of 5:30 p.m. just before it got dark there was about an inch of snow covering my driveway. Wind is strong and seems to be increasing but not the gale strength they warned us about. Sure hope we dodged the bullet and this storm heads out to sea... where I would NOT want to be even if it were July! Last year was enough to convince me I'm strictly a Sunday sailor.
    Hang in there all you mid-Atlantic folks. Only 39 days until Spring.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

My heart goes out to you. The plows sometimes throw the snow back on my 140' sidewalk they go so fast and the strip is narrow on that side; if there's a path left, I sometimes just leave now it but did end up chopping out a lot of ice last year (it melts off the terrace and freezes). The main drag, the grass strip is so narrow, most people have just given up for years; pedestrians have to somehow pick their way thru it. They have a rule that 3 blocks from school have to be shovelled or they will do it and charge you or possibly court action. People have pretty much been ignoring it. In a situation such as yours, I don't think they will get on your case if you don't shovel, and be sure the plows are done B4 even attempting it. Rather than try to clear the whole walk clean, I'd just try to shovel a path on the part furthest away from the street.

This is NOTHING like you're dealing with, but look at that ice last January, no way can I deal with that but think I cleared the sidewalk again with the snowblower. This is what the plows do on the snow route, I'd just cleared this (or my neighbor did, we trade off). One year it was a lot worse than this, I was trying to shovel that heavy, wet snow thinking my snowblower couldn't handle it. Another neighbor has one just like mine and came along and it did handle it.

But if you have a driveway onto the street (I don't), the plows close them in and people have to clear it to get out. The kids and I went and shovelled my dad's blocked driveway one year when I could tell he was feeling overwhelmed, was afraid he'd have a heart attack. He later did and died from complications but not from shovelling.

{{gwi:355141}}

{{gwi:355142}}

• Ann
    14 years ago

Thanks Gardenweed! Hopefully we're at the end of this storm and we can get some sunshine in here to melt the snow and ice. My husband's out shoveling a little and his comment "Now this is a snow!" He is a contractor for one of the defense contracting companies who work for the Federal government. They've been off since Monday and it's not looking like they'll be at work tomorrow or Friday...our tax dollars at work! So, only 39 days until the official start of spring? I don't know that I can wait that long! Ann

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I'm really afraid of power outages in the winter if they last any time. How are people coping with that? I'd think the house would get freezing cold after 8 or so hours and pipes might freeze. I saw an older lady had a candelabra with candles in a news photo, power had been out quite awhile, and she wasn't dressed very warmly. Maybe she had some kind of emergency or wood stove to heat, didn't say.

They say never to light a charcoal grill inside; CO, at one time I wouldn't have thought of that.

I have plenty of candles but not much wood for the fireplace, and it would only heat a small portion of the open living room, would have to screen it off with heavy plastic. I've thought about a generator to keep the furnace going, and good ones aren't that expensive now, but don't know if I'd be able to go out and start it in the freezing cold, and you have to know what you're doing.

I read a lot about preparedness then don't do much about it. No electricity (electric stove), no heat, no hot water, be tough. I do have a kerosene heater that might still work but goes through a lot of kerosene in just a couple days meaning trips for more if you don't have large storage containers for extra. They are pretty warm in a smaller room and relatively safe if you don't have anything like open paint thinner or the like sitting around with fumes. Doesn't bother me to eat cold food but when you're cold, it might be another matter and hypothermia a danger. I do have a super warm sleeping bag and lots of that sort of thing.

I would hate to have to leave my home and go to one of the kids' or shelter, and the kids' might need to come here for all I know.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

We got about a foot of snow. Not bad compared to you folks in the east. But we had an earthquake this morning. It woke me up. Felt the bed move and heard a rumbling noise.

I watched the news & am feeling bad for the you who live on the East Coast. Please be safe.

• Ann
    14 years ago

Thanks for the kind words Pitimpinai! We got about 10 more inches today. The snow's finally stopped and now if the wind would die down, I can go to sleep not worrying about losing our power. Amazing what Mother Nature can do! I better rest up to move all that snow on the sidewalk (my hubby did our walk and dug one of our cars out "just in case", but I don't think we'll be getting out too much tomorrow.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Aliska,
    I hope you made it thru the nite without losing power.
    I was also afraid of that.
    I guess it could still happen, but less likely now.
    We did not get any gale force winds. Did get (I guess) another 10 or so inches of snow.

I don't worry about heat if the power goes cuz I have gas heat.
    But I worry about you Aliska, talking about freezing and CO.
    Be very careful, in these situations I always hear about people having fires from trying to keep warm. I don't know how cold it gets where you are, I think I would opt for warm clothes and quilt.

I feel so sorry for the people without power. I think I saw numbers in the hundred of thousands. Esp old people or sick or alone people or people without food or who need medicine. :I don't worry about my physical safety, but I do fear for my mental wellness! :)
    I live alone and my worry is what will I do without power and can't get out - no computer, tv, radio, reading.
    At least now I have a cell phone.

I always make sure I have enough cat food. I have a big fear of being trapped in the house with a hungry cat. lol

Hope you all check in and let us know how you made it thru. I guess the worst is over. Now the clean-up.

ellen

• Ann
    14 years ago

Ellen, I'm right there with you regarding mental wellness - it's amazing how quickly we can get "cabin fever" particularly when we have kids who are "bored"! I'm ready for my girls to be back at school, but today just incredibly grateful that at least yesterday we didn't lose our power - and I don't know about your gas heat, but mine has an electric spark to turn it on - so I'm grateful that my heat's still working, although I'm dreading seeing my gas bill this month! LOL 38 days still Spring, right?? Ann

• erika_ct
    14 years ago

We got almost nothing. The night before, all the schools were already announcing cancellations. So I worked from home to stay with the kiddies yesterday. They cancelled all the flights at Bradley and everything. They were predicting 14 inches for our area.

Pfffbbbttt...we got about 4 inches total. I live in central CT. I heard that the southern part of the state got a couple inches more and that up toward Mass. they only got an inch or two.

What a bust. This has been a very mild winter for Connecticut so far.

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

I am calling this "the battle of the groundhogs" Phil made sure for the second blizzard our area of Pa got hammered, 16inches and 2-3ft drifts.
    The NY groundhog saved Nyers with less.

At least I managed to get my car unstuck at the end of the lot this morning to make it to work. Going to do just what I have to do, then head back and shovel out those thigh or waist high drifts.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

ellenr, I didn't used to worry much at all about power, food shortages, until recent years and restructuring of the power companies to regional hubs, seeing what has happened with other people around here and the country (modern communication, you feel part of a larger community), freezing cold and some rural folks close in did without for 2 weeks about three winters ago. I suppose terrorism has been a factor, too, somewhat; how to survive in any disaster. Brings back my fears when I was a little girl when people were building bomb shelters, begged my dad to build us one but he opted against it. Was naive about it's not just hunkering down and feeling safe, not at all. I'm alone, too, and don't like to feel vulnerable.

I realized years ago if we had a total economic collapse, civil order would break down, how to keep yourself safe and where; fortunately not yet but our children may have to deal with something like that. Watching those people walk home from NYC was sobering during that massive outage. I can't walk that far any more. Glad it wasn't worse for them, but I noticed it was all younger people.

I've tried to think through a reasonable plan and am pretty careful, have to think about the cat, too, and I didn't want another one but he found me.

One thing that hit me loud and clear was when we did have an outage some years ago now, I realized you can't buy anything because the cash registers are down, and they would not take cash or a check, a place that trusts me where I trade often. Must have been boss's orders, same with all store affected.

I think it's getting older; when things were bad when I was younger, I learned to be as self-reliant as possible. Rather than wait (and pay) somebody, I learned to do a lot of things for myself like repair windows, wire electrical outlets (saw how sloppy some electricians had been when I got in there). Jack up the car and put on chains and take them off again (haven't needed them for years, thankfully), things like that. Some things I never learned to do that some women now can. I'm more afraid of falling now and don't go out in the back when it's dark and cold.

It's kind of funny, but a couple weeks ago, I blew a fuse, was down in the basement when it happened and had to make my way back upstairs in the dark, forgetting to try the switch to the lights on the other side, know my house, got up fine found my flashlight. Hadn't happened for some time, but the basement was wet, and I couldn't remember what kind of shoes were safest against shock so called my son. He didn't know. He had a fit and said first I'd have to call somebody, more money and more waiting, then said he'd be over. I said I had plenty of spares, had changed plenty of fuses over the years, and would just lay a board down. Then I couldn't get it unscrewed it was in there so tight. So I call my son back. Said to get some channel lock pliers, was hesitant because sometimes light bulbs will break off leaving the threaded part in there. So I grabbed my pliers, was very careful not to touch the wrong thing, laid down a thick, dry board, slipped off my shoes to my stocking feet and got it done, called my son back.

Even that wouldn't be such a big deal if it hadn't been cold and was the one the furnace is on. I even turned the furnace off first just in case.

Thanks for your kindness and concern, it hasn't been that bad here yet. It's mainly the ice storms and high winds to worry about, but it happens more often now.

Oh dear, another long one. I'm starting to get really annoyed with myself for that, nobody wants to read such stuff as I come up with. And my gdaughter thinks I write well and should do a blog, password protect it. She would set it up for me, bless her. I can set it up myself, but don't think it's "me" to blog on a regular basis, don't even want to get trapped into Facebook and all the back and forth. So I guess I blog like this.

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

We got nailed. A ton yesterday which we dog and blew out and then overnight we got even more. Hubs and DS were up at 6AM out shoveling and using the snowblower too. Nice and sunny now. And glaring white too.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

We lucked out - again! Last week, with all the big predictions, we didn't get a single snowflake.

Yesterday, we got a grand total of maybe 4 inches. As the local headline said, "Snow-verblown". LOL.

I did hear LI got hit hard though. Sounds like once again the storm veered off just south of us.

My mom lives in DC. She hasn't been to work for a week! The poor folks in the mid-atlantic states have been hit pretty hard.

Dee

• Ann
    14 years ago

Dee,

Please take my snow! I just took pictures of our front yard (I think it's there - but there's about 3+ feet of snow on top of it). LOL!

I'm ready for it all to melt away and for my husband and my girls to be at work and school...

Ann

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    14 years ago

We have about 3+ feet of snow here after the blizzard and the snow storm before that. The furnace went out last night, so we spent most of the night and all day today with a roaring fire in the fireplace. It was very nice, actually. Coworkers from across the country and world emailed those of us who live on the east coast to find out how we were doing, and some of us sent pictures of the snow to them.

DH went out and shovelled a path to the cars, the neighbor ploughed the driveway, and then DH went back out and cleared the snow off the cars. He will sleep well tonight (What's that snoring? He already is!)

Although we have not lost our electricity for a while, it does tempt me to think about getting a generator.
    Lois in PA

• neverenoughflowers
    14 years ago

We were in the "bulls eye" as the local news casters called it. We ended up with 24" of fresh snow which is now blowing and drifting across my 900' long driveway. That brings us to a total of 48" of snow since last Saturday.

DH has made several canyons through the snow to bring firewood to the house and to dump piles of snow because it is piled so high alongside the driveway.

My ws containers are buried in my garden under all of this and I'm a bit worried that they may have collapsed under all the weight. I can't check on them because I don't think I can make it through all the snow, hopefully they will be ok.

I sure hope everyone is okay and safe and warm and dug out!

Carol

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Hi Carol,

Don't worry about your containers. Once in a blue moon a lid may cave in but no biggee--when you zome day find them just open the container up and pop the dent back out. If you can't do that then remove the top and make a covering with a baggie or a cheapo translucent shower cap from the dollar store. Don't forget to poke holes in the new cover.

I just took my garbage out for the night. I can't get to the bags in the cans, can't really get to the cans yet at all. So whatever we had went into a huge black plastic bag which I trudged out to the street--at least ten feet straight out from the curb. They barely plowed the road wide enough for two cars to pass each other, if that. Amazing. I hope it stays sunny so the snow will evaporate along the edges. Eventually the drivable road with will widen to a safer size.

T

• pippi21
    14 years ago

I am so ready for Spring. Our court looks like some of those pictures sent back by the astronauts. Hugh piles of white stuff. We moved to a Sr. Citizens community so we wouldn't have to shovel snow..Wrong! We live in a court, where there are only 18 houses and we're the last ones to be dug out. I gave up yesterday trying to shovel the driveway because of the bitter wind. Today, Our court is due to be dug out, driveways and sidewalks cleared of fallen snow. Second time this week. This snow is getting old. Think Spring! Come on Spring, please! I can't imagine having school age kids home for a week. My kids are all grown. Funny how those memories escape one of all the snow days.

• terrene
    14 years ago

This blizzard was a bust here in metro-west Boston. Towns had canceled schools or had early closings, and everyone was prepared for a real storm. We got about 1/2 inch accumulation which has already melted.

A local meteorologist apologized to the viewers that their forecasts had caused inconvenience. He was shaking his head that they were predicting 20's F and snow for Mississippi, while we are sitting with some patchy snow and relatively balmy temperatures in the mid-30s.

This is quite strange, but I'm not complaining. Often the weather is cool and dreary here in New England compared to the rest of the nation.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    14 years ago

Carol,

We're in the same boat -- probably about 18 inches of new snow on top of the previous 27 inches. The only time I've seen snow this high was in pictures from Buffalo or some place like that. And while the main roads are pretty good, our little back roads are barely wide enough for one car in some areas -- had to back up once and pull into a driveway another time yesterday to let another car by.

And Lois, if you can I'd recommend a generator. We finally got one last year and even if you rarely use it it gives you peace of mind in situations like the blizzard. We didn't lose power this time, but we were ready just in case and that was a nice feeling.

Caryl

• Angela
    14 years ago

Snow in Mississippi... got 7 inches last night. :P

Now my containers have that soft white blanket keeping the poppy and gaillardia sprouts warm. Coral honeysuckle cuttings under there, too.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• leisa_in_md
    14 years ago

so. done. with. snow.

How long does it take to melt 4 feet of snow??? My pallette compost bin is GONE!

C'mon SPRING! :)

Leisa

Original Author
    14 years ago

me too Leisa
    the other day I heard a woman say how she loved to see everything covered with snow and she "didn't want to see any green til April"!
    woo
    I'm just the opposite. I want to see green and brown.

I finally got my car out with the help of a neighbor. I am sore and tired.
    but it's a pretty day, seems warmer than the '20's that the radio says, the sun is out. yea for the sun. I love the sight and sound of snow melting. GO sun. :)

Aliska - I love your long posts. I find them and you very interesting. If you do start a blog let me know. I think we must be of a similar generation (I am 62) as you mention those "bomb alerts". Hiding under a desk was protection in case of a nuclear bomb!
    You sound very self-reliant, more so than me. But when one lives alone, one must attain a certain degree of self-reliance, right?

ellen

• ruthz
    14 years ago

DFW TX got a total of 11 inches.
    DH got to work okay today. We're the first house on the street on a slight hill.
    He couldn't go up the hill, so had to back down to next street.
    I actually saw a plow on our street today.
    Who knew we had plows??
    It's about 39 degrees now, so it's melting fast.

• ajpa
    14 years ago

We got a lot of snow. Probably more altogether than the last big one I remember, which was Jan 96.
    Hubby has a snowblower but we had to shovel the top 1 foot of snow off first because the snowblower was drowning in snow.
    No school since Wednesday (3 days) and garbage trucks did not run today.

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

I was down in Mississippi a few years ago for a conference and the director was talking about the products made in MS, one of which is Flexible Flyer Sleds. I heard a voice at the back of the crowd speak up and ask "How do you know they work?" The director said that about every ten years they get to try them out. LOL.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

ellenr, thank you, that was nice of you. I feel so bad for you people struggling out east. We got a little more last night, in the 20's but sun melted it off the sidewalks.

It's been a long and busy day, in no particular order juggled my usual have to do's, mixed up almost the last of my soil to be ready, took a long time deciding what to order along with that Prairie Smoke on that other thread, called their toll free #, wait for call back, decided to just try their carts and order online, a hassle but got thru it and conf email. More seeds, just what I need, but really wanted those. Then I called HD about more potting soil. And some large pots. The soil is outside on the palettes and may be frozen to each other in which case I can't buy any. If they can get it loose, I can. If I can get it in the house, it will thaw. I'll have to go out there tomorrow. Let it sit in my car until one of the kids can come by and unload it. But knowing me, I get impatient and may try my wheelbarrow.

So then I was going to start a thread asking about good places to buy large pots because one of my pair is ruined, patched it in the back with duct tape but see there's a big crack in it now. Shopped online for pots that would fit there, love those Talavera ones from Mexico but they might be too busy for my style and expensive plus they're too small, then some sites could not believe the prices.

So I start at HD online, find a couple I like, resin when I'd rather have terra cotta or glazed, but $38 and not in stock here, read them off the SKU on the phone. Lowe's site down. Ended up ordering a pair $15 ones in either a dark red or rust that would fit. Cheaper to ship to the store and pick up, called out there, no help at all, am afraid they'll get lost in the shuffle 'cuz I never did that before, not in stock at any store within 100 miles.

So I ordered those two, paid $7.95 for shipping to my home instead; it's almost worth it not to have to drive clear out there to pick them up assuming they can get that straight. Plus I had to pay state sales tax, forgot about that; if there's a store in your state, you have to pay on internet sales now, no biggie except when I bought my imac. Where is there a store here? Des Moines. That's halfway across the state.

So I'm bushed, am waiting for my Friday night virus scan to finish up.

I got to thinking about being alone and all the people who post about DH's that shovel for them, do the hard stuff. It makes me feel bad I have to fend for myself. But the husband I had, I'd have to beg to get him to do anything IF he even bothered to come home. Was always out drinking and never called to give me a time and abusive, totally inconsiderate. Good job and bennies though, life sure changed after the divorce So much for that.

I think people are so lucky who have nice husbands who are considerate of them and willing to do things to help, call them dear and mean it. But I've been alone for so long I'm used to it. I'm 68, got a few years on you.

The big upset right now is granddaughter took off for CA with her bf and just broke up with him. Her heart is broken, and she's out there all alone. I could cry for her, wrote her an email to tell my take on getting hurt (been there multiple times), and the long view. At least she is starting a new job she likes, but I'm worried about her and especially she is the kind like her mom who just has to have a man. Can't imagine what there is to choose from out there, begged her to be careful, rebound, and especially hooking up with someone on the internet. I'd send her money to come home, but jobs for young people are bad here.

So it goes. Another long one. If I blog I'll let you know, just got invited to be a friend on Facebook. Again. I chat so much here I don't have any energy or desire left for that, don't want to get sucked into it and can't understand the appeal and giving so much real life, personal info.

Have a nice evening, people, such as is left of it.

• greengardener07
    14 years ago

Snow, the new four letter "S" word.

I just can't wait for spring!

We lost some nice mature branches on one of our dogwood trees, the snow was so heavy that out rose bushes are most likely damaged. Hopefully not too bad though.

And too boot, we have a gi-normous icicle that has formed around the top of the drain pipe and is about a foot in diameter. All I can say is "Sun! Sun! Sun! Yaaaaaaay SUN!

The snow looks nice when if falls and everything, but moderation is the key. What has happened in the past week for us here is down right wrong!!!!!!!

At least the robins have been hanging around.

• Ann
    14 years ago

Uho, it's snowing again here - we're about to start the reverse snow dance...My beautiful weeping Japanese maple is pretty badly damaged. I have to wait until the snow melts more to get to it to check out which branches are going to have to be cut off. I'm really unhappy about it, but what's a girl to do?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH