SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rusty_blackhaw

One night in the garden...

rusty_blackhaw
15 years ago

I was outdoors the other evening, checking on happenings in the garden.

I had known that a purple-leafed evening primrose had flowers that were open at night and closed the next morning. What I hadn't realized is that the blooms were triggered just at dusk, unfurling over about a 15-second period like time-lapse photography, first the outer sepals snapping open and then the main petals expanding and spreading apart. To top things off, a hummingbird hawk moth appeared at just that moment, wings a blur as it hovered a few inches from me, getting its nectar meal. Great sight.

This is a seed-grown evening primrose (Oenothera) which I think I got from T&M Seeds, though they don't have it in this year's catalog. Low rosettes the first year, then 4-6-foot stems this year with flowers appearing at the top (it's been in bloom at least a month and a half, with more flowers yet to go). The mild fragrance is reminiscent to me of musk, a hint of lemon and some type of medicinal/household cleanser odor - odd, but I like it. It makes a nice contrast to the sweeter scents of brugmansias and plumeria, both of which are flowering in pots nearby.

What nighttime stars are performing in your garden right now?

Comments (13)