SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeschmoe80

bringing some Fire Dragons to OH from TX

joeschmoe80
10 years ago

After doing a lot of research, here and elsewhere, IâÂÂve determined that I MUST have a few âÂÂFire Dragonâ Shantung Maples. While I donâÂÂt âÂÂneedâ them here in Central OH for fall color (we have lots of options) or heat tolerance (we get hot but not like Texas)â¦theyâÂÂre just really cool and unique.

However, only SoonerâÂÂs carries them (except Metro Maples itself) and are always out of stock.

Turns out, I have a business trip in the DFW area at the end of the month. I thought IâÂÂd fly out, but instead of fly home on the company dime, rent a large truck on my own dime, stop over at Metro Maples, pick me up a few plants, load 'em on a truck, and drive them back home to Ohio.

Also, IâÂÂve never attempted to ship in-leaf, containerized plants of a decent size before. I see they have up to 50 gallon Fire Dragons available.

If I get an âÂÂopenâ truck such as a flatbed or large pickup, the poor things will be subject to hot sun and 65 mph winds for 1500 miles. However, IâÂÂm not sure IâÂÂd be able to fit them inside a moving van type vehicle, unless I laid them on their side.

1. Can I lie them on their side? What kind of extra support would you recommend?

2. Am I crazy?

1. Has anyone else ever done this? Driven hundreds of miles with trees they couldnâÂÂt find elsewhere?

Comments (13)