SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

Ogon Dawn redwood 'Gold Rush' growth rate

katrina1
16 years ago

Just found a web site which did not give very much information about the Gold Rush, but they did report on its growth rate.

According to that site, the Ogon 'Gold Rush' should grow to 12 feet tall and 5 feet wide in 10 years.

Is this true from how others have seen their Gold Rush trees perform?

I ordered another 3 gallon potted sized one from Greenwood Nursery and was wondering if it would be good to plant it about 6 feet away from my orignal one that is still struggling so badly.

It is my hope that if the new one I just ordered arrives early enough, I can plant in a just slightly higher part of the yard which gets less water runoff from my neighbor's yard.

Of course, my just ordering it yesterday, might cause it to be shipped to me far too late in the season for me to plant it before our high 90s, and above, summer heat-up begins to rage. If it does arrive that late, I'm hoping that I can repot the new one and protect it over the winter. Then I could simply try to keep the tree chilled enough to delay its breaking doramancy in the following spring and plant it just after April 15h of that year.

Do my two planned options appear reasonable for this tree, or even successfully workable in my 6b/7a zone?

Comments (19)