SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
learningasigo

broken tree

learningasigo
16 years ago

I know this might be next to impossible to help me since I am lacking some pertinent information and don't have a photo to share but here goes. We bought our house about a year ago and there is a small tree in the front yard. It was staked however I think it is at least 5 years old or more. Here is where I am lacking information - I don't know what kind of tree it is. It is about 5 ft. tall and I believe some sort of flowering/ornamental tree. Since we were just moving in last spring I didn't pay too much attention to it and now can't recall its flowering habit. Anyway, the trunk is broken. It was probably broken when we moved in (hence the stake) but I do know it looked healthy last year and through the winter. Several months ago we noticed the stake lying on the ground (probably from wind) and then discovered the trunk is broke. The trunk is probably only about 3 in. in diameter. We restaked it but now several months later it is showing signs that it is dying. The leaves are turning a funky brownish color. Any suggestions on how to repair the tree trunk (tape, paint?)or is it too late. The break is on the bottom foot of the tree.

Thanks, Jennie

Comment (1)