SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmpman1974

Advice on Raised Beds over High Clay Soil

cmpman1974
13 years ago

I'm certainly not new to building raised beds and gardening. In fact, I have seven raised beds. I'm building three more.

This time, I'm trying to determine the most efficient way to construct/amend my native soil under the raised bed and what to fill the beds with.

The proposed beds are 4' x 12' wide x 1' high.

I have had the sod removed and tried to rototill the native soil. I live in Michigan in a city with high, high clay content soil (i.e., a ROCK). You can't even break up a 2-3" deep layer with a front line 6 hp tiller! It just bounces off.

It pisses me off to not be able to do much with the undersoil, though a 1 ft high soil mix in the raised bed is nice. I know some crops have tap roots well longer than 2-3 ft though.

I can barely budge the native soil with a hardcore spade shovel. Do I just call it a day and leave the underlayer alone and build up with good compost/soil or attempt to improve the ground before building up?

I need to know quickly. Any suggestions on the best method to do this? I'm hoping my box fill materials may create natural activity from earthworms and other organisms to improve the soil.

I'm not using 'Mel's Mix.' Way too expensive for this much volume.

I grow lots of peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, lettuce, summer squash, etc.

All thoughts/ideas are welcome.

Comments (14)