SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamchesbay

ISO Advice Again: What to Plant in a Different Bed

Pamchesbay
14 years ago

It's a cold snowy January night and I'm trying to make plans. Since I asked for and received great advice about the long driveway beds, I've been planning them. Yesterday, I realized that I've given little (no) thought to the beds closest to the house.

Driveway as it makes first turn

{{gwi:353635}}

The main bed is about 75-100' long and 10' wide. It extends from the (long) driveway to the front door (house is on pilings so there are stairs to the first floor). I need to make tending paths.

Turning toward the house

{{gwi:353636}}

Front Garden Bed

In this bed are 3 river birches, several Itea 'Henry's Garnet,' Fothergilla 'Mount Airy,' and white Indian Hawthornes. Near the stairs are 3 Needle Palms. After the stairs, the bed curves around to the right and runs along the front of the house.

{{gwi:353637}}

What can I plant in this bed that will grow and come into bloom this Spring, around the time the daffs and tulips are fading? The bed gets high winds and afternoon sun. I've been working on the soil for two years - it's decent. The bed is raised several inches above the drive so it drains.

Related question: When the spring show ends, how do you create the next act? Assume you have a bed of poppies and larkspur for spring. How and when do you plant that bed with different plants and flowers for summer?

Comments (14)

Sponsored