SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamchesbay

ISO Advice on Itea virginiana and Fothergilla

Pamchesbay
15 years ago

Hi:

I live in VA on the southern Chesapeake Bay. I am planning a 60' bed that will run along part of the driveway to the entrance to the house. The bed is in full sun, conditions are fairly windy most of the year. The bed has three Heritage river birch trees (clumps) 15' apart, a few Indian Hawthornes in front of the river birches, and 2 needle palms (Rhapidophyllum hystrix) at the end of the bed near the stairs to the house. I am looking for fragrant shrubs that excellent fall color to brighten things up.

I planned to order several Itea virginiana 'Henry's Garnet' and Fothergilla gardenii from Forest Farm. FF offers several other varieties: I. virginiana 'Longspire,' I. virginiana 'Saturnalia' and I. virginiana 'Scarlet Beauty.' Hmmm.

Same with Fothergilla. I planned to order F. gardenii, but FF also offers F. gardenii 'Blue Mist,' F. major "Mt Airy,' and F. major 'Blue Shadow.'

Does anyone have experience with these varieties? If so, do you have advice? How are they different from I. virginiana 'Henry's Garnet" and F. gardenii?

Since Iteas and Fothergilla prefer moisture, I plan to add drip irrigation to this bed. I haven't read anything about their ability to tolerate windy conditions - I hope that will also help all the plants in this bed handle the wind.

Many thanks for your help!

Pam

Comments (5)