SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rp2b

Landscaping Along Creek

rp2b
6 years ago

Last year my husband and I bought a house with a creek running along the side yard (storm runoff from the surrounding neighborhoods). At one point in time the creek was lined with tall twenty+ year old trees, but the previous owners let some vines get out of control and take over, killing many of those trees. We are now left with a raggedy looking mess of dead trunks and mangled vines along the bank of the creek (we cut all the vines in several spots including the base, hopefully killing them all before they overtake any more trees). We would like to do some landscaping this spring, and hide that hideous mess of dead stumps and vines. What can you suggest planting along the bank of a creek that would thrive in damp soil and also be occasionally subjected to heavy flowing water when the creek overflows its banks during heavy rainfall? My husband was imagining some dense shrubs because A) he wants to hide the ugly mess and B) he wants something hearty to survive the occasional heavy flowing water. I on the other hand, would prefer something that will give our yard some color...we have enough green everywhere. I just don't know if that something exists that is dense enough to hide some of the stumps and vines, strong enough to withstand the occasional heavy waterflow, but also offers some color or flowers in the spring or summer. We don't want to hide the creek, only the mess on the banks, so don't want anything more than a few feet tall. We're in North Carolina and the area gets some, but not much sun. Any ideas?

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21