SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamchesbay

Advice about Planting Different Seedlings

Pamchesbay
17 years ago

Last week, I received a shipment of seedlings from the NH State Nursery that included beach plums, Virginia roses, Northern arrowwood (Viburnum recognitum), and 5 species of native dogwood. The beach plums were larger than expected so I planted them behind the dunes.

I have questions about how to best care for the other seedlings that are approximately 15"-18" tall (heeled in at present, adjusting to Virginia after beginning life in NH).

Should I plant these seedlings in their ultimate homes? Do you recommend planting them in a nursery bed until they are larger and stronger, then transplanting in late fall? Should I heel them in and leave them until the weather cools off (similar to option 2)? Any good options I haven't mentioned?

The roses will go into sandy soil behind sand dunes. The dogwoods and arrowwoods will be planted in a wetlands area near a brackish pond and adjacent to a salt water cove.

I appreciate your advice about how to care for these seedlings. I was impressed with the variety and quality of plants from the NH State Nursery. I expect I'll order again next year - but earlier when selections are greater.

Many thanks,

Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: NH State Nursery

Comments (5)