SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

What I thought was BS turns out 2 be sawflies, don't I feel silly

KnoxRose z7
9 years ago

Ok, so I am new to growing roses, this is probably evident from the title of my post, but I have acquired over 15 rose bushes over the past couple of months, most of them are planted in a mixed boarder around my front porch, but a few are in pots on said porch. About half of them have been afflicted with these grayish spots for most of the time that I have had them, seeing that they were dark in color and widespread I naturally assumed that this is the infamous blackspot I have read so much about on this forum.

WELL, apparently I have been horribly mistaken, I just returned home from my favorite local greenhouse, and while I was there shopping for roses (that I certainly don't need and barely have room for--I have this problem--I know most of you will understand what I mean)
As I was asking the bush and shrub expert about a struggling Ebb Tide I have (the leaves are turning bright yellow and the buds seem to be dying before they even have time to flower- if you have helpful info I'll be glad to hear any) I look over at a random rose that is nearby and it also has my familiar gray spotting & I just happen to think to ask "is this blackspot?" and she says, "No, that it is damage from a sawfly." Well my mouth just fell right open. Don't I just feel super silly that I have been reading up on blackspot for weeks, trying to find out how to prevent it & treat it organically, yadda yadda, and this whole time I have been researching the wrong thing.

So I ask her what I can do to stop this and she lists several types of sprays, insecticides, etc, when I ask her if there are any organic treatment options she pretty much laughed and said "growing roses organically- forget about it!" I appreciate her advice so much, but I know there have to be other options out there, does anyone here have anything that has worked for them in the past to treat sawfly infestations without hurting beneficial insects? Any advice will be much appreciated!

Jessica

Comments (13)