SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cal_00

Weeping Willow bark coming off. Pictures inside.

Cal_00
9 years ago

Hi, I planted this Weeping Willow in my yard about 4 years ago. The first 2 years of the tree being in the ground I didn't notice much change in the size of the crown or the diameter of the trunk. That was until last year when this tree took off and nearly tripled in size. This year it has really started to grow at a quicker paste then last year but I've notice something at the base of the trunk. About a week ago I notice a small hole at the base and I checked to see if it was hollow but it wasn't. I could feel something behind the hole. As I started to feel around the area where the hole was I could feel the bark moving as I pressed firmly a around that area. Yesterday after check it again the bark was pretty much peeling off so I remove the bark that was only attached by a few strands of bark. I have included pictures of the area. My question is...is this a normal shedding process? If not, what can be causing this? I did notice some ants around that area but I'm not sure if that could cause this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (23)