SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimnc7

Kaempferia Grande - Peacock Ginger - Will it survive Z 7?

kimnc7
15 years ago

Hello,

I just came back from a nice, but crazy-hot day at some not-so-local nurseries and came home with a Peacock Ginger. I really am much more into flowers and know more about them than foliage plants but just started looking for a couple of foliage plants to liven up the front bed. On the sign above the plant it said hardy to zone 7 and now on the tag I see hardy to zone 8. One some sites online I see it is hardy to 9b! Did I just waste my money? Is there a remote possibility (with mulching) that it will survive in my zone 7 (borderline between a/b) garden? I have no place to store it inside unless it doesn't need sun or light or even to be too warm. I bought it to be an outdoor perennial. It is beautiful but should I not get too attached to it? I would like to add that I did plan on planting it in a spot that gets morning to early afternoon shade and mid to late afternoon sun in summer, but it will get full sun in winter. I am not sure if this will make a difference considering the soil will be relatively warm in the winter. Many thanks for your replies!

Comments (3)