SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_anna_gw

Resisted the urge to do an unauthorized rose rustle

mary_anna
13 years ago

I just got back from a book research trip to south Louisiana. I stopped by a plantation house with some glorious antique rose plantings, but they looked recently planted, so I don't think there was anything undiscovered lurking there. I'm pretty sure I saw some big healthy bushes of La Marne and Cecile Brunner, as well as some probable hybrid musks and noisettes that I didn't recognize.

Down at Venice, I saw some possibly abandoned bushes blooming by a chain-link fence bordering the property of a store that seemed to have been closed since Katrina. I think they were fairly recent hybrid teas, but they sure were big and healthy. I had business to attend, and there was no one to get permission for a rustle, so I resisted the temptation. Still, Peggy Martin is a rose that was found after it survived Katrina, so the possibility of finding something wonderful down there is real.

I've been blogging about what I saw, in terms of the oil spill and relief effort. Unfortunately, I left the roses out of my report. :) Still, some of you might be interested in what's going on down there. If so, just scroll back through the last 3 or 4 posts, because it's taken me all week to process the sad state of affairs down there. I'm heartsick for all the people who are suffering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to blog about the oil spill cleanup

Comment (1)