SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

where do you go to look at roses? (rambling again)

User
12 years ago

It only takes a couple of horrible mistakes to realise that buying roses (or any plant) based on luscious catalogue pics and descriptions, is a foolish and expensive enterprise. This forum is massively helpful and I have had rather more success taking the advice of fellow forum members (Ghislaine de Feligonde, mmm) but.....I really want to see, touch and sniff a rose (and see it growing in the ground in a gorgeous garden - the one in my head, that is but this is just daydreaming). Our local botanic gardens have a dwindling collection of ancient roses (the glory days of Dr.Hurst and Graham Thomas seem very long ago - not much chance of another Cantabridgiensis!) which are not labelled and shamefully neglected - i tried volunteering but they never let us near the actual plants, sigh. Anyway, there are a couple of garden centres which carry a few hundred roses - not really ideal but still more reliable than the catalogue. Locally, I have to say that while Cambridge is a truly beautiful city, municipal horticulture is fairly miserable. The colleges do maintain some lovely gardens but I dunno, you have to pay to get in, and only on a couple of days a year, well....... On the other hand, I could get a train and travel what seems like a sizeable distance to me, 40 miles or so, but is probably laughable to people who live in BIG countries, and go along to a nursery - there is always such a thing within 40 miles, anywhere in the UK.Even so, this is the danger time of the year - no actual roses to see but many, many dark hours to ponder the interweb and dream of next summer.....oh, and so very easy to buy - no need to get a coat, face the weather - nope, just a click. Once again, I have failed to take my own advice and bought a rose that I have not actually seen (Pomponella - at least this is a small rose).

So, do you need to see roses in bloom before buying? Where do you go? Local gardens, Historic estates? Garden centres? friends? What sways your mind? Would anyone buy a rose without seeing it, just on someone's recommendation?

Comments (27)