SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flybynyte_gw

help please (novice)...

flybynyte
15 years ago

i am fairly new to roses. i did purchase and plant a knockout shrub rose a few years ago, but, it did not survive past its second year. i kinda wondered if it would survive our winters---but, tried it anyway.

when that failed, thought i would replace it with a shrub rose called 'champlain'. well, it did wonderful its first couple of years, then, seemed to struggle. i thought it might be because the neighbors tree has grown over it giving it mid-day shade. i decided that i wouldn't lose anything by trying to transplant it---so, that's what i did a few weeks ago. the jury is still out on that one. i swore i would forget about roses.

well, while at a nearby nursery, they had a beautiful climbing rose called 'ramblin red'. looked at the price and said "no thanks". then i was at another nearby nursery and saw another 'ramblin red' and it was very reasonable. i just couldn't pass it up. so, now it is planted, but, i have noticed that some of the leaves are partially eaten, and, some just have the chlorophyl gone (in other words, not eaten all the way through). i am guessing they are aphids doing the damage. anyway, what would be the best way of attacking the damage? i would prefer something that might not damage any beneficial insects.

thanks for your help.

finally some warm, dry weather. we have had a cool, damp (somewhat wet) late spring/early summer.

Comments (12)