SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marshallkey

When to till compost into the soil ?

Marshallkey
11 years ago

First time for gardening in 15 yrs. Working two jobs I didn't have the time to properly take care of the garden. Recently retired I tilled up an area 40ft x 40ft that was heavily sodded and hadn't been gardened in 15 yrs. The soil tested on the alkaline side. I decided to go organic for the first time and accessed a lot of help on this sight. I live in so. central Indiana and we had a terrible drought here but all in all my first try at organic went rather well. I planted sweet corn,bush beans,tomatoes,green onions, carrots,bell peppers, jalapenos, sweet and hot bannana peppers,squash,zuchinni,and cucumbers. With a lot of watering(water bill was 3x normal), compost tea and rabbit manure tea, and the fact that in the last 15 yrs the trees around my garden have grown quite a bit allowing only about 7 hrs sun I faired alot better than the majority of local gardeners in my area. We had several days in a row in July over 100 degrees( one day at 105) that caused a lot of blossom drop, but the plants recovered when the heat let up and started blooming again. Luckily I took the advice of some great gardeners on this site and added about 4 inches of compost all over the garden. This not only helped hold moisture during the heat and drought but cut down weeding to a level I had never been used to. I bet I haven't spent a total of 1 hour all summer weeding. Sorry to ramble but I had so much fun with my garden this year. Okay here's my question. I have two compost piles each about 3 ft tall and 10 ft long that I have been adding to all spring and summer. They both will be all but done by Oct. My plans are to clear the garden,spread the finished compost on the garden and till it in. Then I have access to cow manure,late grass clippings, and about 6 in of shredded leaves that I will put on top of that.Next spring I plan to till all that in, plant and add another layer of compost. Does this sound like the proper procedure to prepare and help my soil. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (13)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor