SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karinl_gw

What is this tree (and adjacent shrub)?

karinl
11 years ago

I first saw this tree in winter on a property that was listed for sale; a derelict house on an overgrown and neglected lot that I think used to be a marvelous garden. We didn't buy it, but I was amazed at the tree's form, and had to go back to see what it turned out to be. From the trunk, and now the leaves, I thought maybe a beech? But given the pendulous form and golden leaf colour, what kind?

Next to it is a suckering thicket of a shrub with dark red leaves, looks like a witchhazel or hazelnut of some kind, but what form has red leaves?

I've attached a photo of the whole yard which is a tangle of quite lovely trees, including a pink dogwood in bloom and what looks like a copper beech. I don't often see such an exuberant overgrowth - not sure I'd want the clearing up of it (ivy, bramble, and laurel also present), but it looks great from afar. I hope someone can help with identity of the magnificent beast overhanging it all.

The property drops off from the sidewalk so the tree is taller than it looks here. It is, in fact, growing right out of a creek bed while the other trees are growing on higher ground.

Karin L

{{gwi:366086}}

{{gwi:366087}}

{{gwi:366088}}

{{gwi:366089}}

Comments (5)