SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

The Importance of Fragrance

Molineux
17 years ago

Last October I started a thread discussing repeat bloom and how it was the most important factor I consider before buying a rose. Now I come to the second most important factor:

FRAGRANCE

Those who know me on this forum are well familiar with my stance on this subject. Roses must be fragrant. PERIOD.

Think about it. What is the first thing you do when encountered with a sumptious rose? Smell it of course. And what is your reaction when there is no scent? If you are like me it is a feeling of overwhelming disappointment.

Case in point: OLYMPIAD

I remember when I first saw it at a rose show. My jaw literally dropped open. It was (and is) the reddest red rose I have ever seen. Think rich, saturated, glowing R-E-D without any purple or orange tones. The high centered flower form is exceptionallly "tight" and holds well in a vase (why it won Queen at that particular show). Stems are very long and hold the large blooms straight up. I also have it on good authority that this particular rose is heat tolerant, repeats quickly, and has good resistance to fungal diseases (for a Hybrid Tea).

But I will never grow it because the flowers have absolutely no scent what-so-ever. None-Zip-Nada.

Fragrance has been called the soul of the rose. Well I must be a soul collector because the only roses in MY garden are fragrant. Strongly perfumed cultivars get perferential treatment. I will put up with a lot (including spraying, feeding, and overall coddling) if a rose will quickly repeat bloom all summer with lusciously scented flowers.

Now that doesn't mean I won't make allowances for other factors. Complexity of scent for example. I will accept a moderately (minimum requirement folks - NO slight or "lightly" fragrant cultivars) fragrant rose if the parfume is especially delicious. Disease resistance and attractive growth habit are also desirable.

Good example is SYMPHONY. This vintage English Rose has a quartered flower form and soft yellow color that must be seen to be believed. Repeats well too and the short shrub is especially dense and attractive. Alas the fragrance has so far been only light. I'm giving him a couple of years to mature. For his sake the fragrance had better improve.

So the question remains,

How important is fragrance TO YOU?

Comments (88)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH