SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hercules_gw

A Caution......Sta-Bil shelf life

hercules
16 years ago

Hi All:

A long time ago there was a discussion on here about someone finding "red flakes" in their Sta-Bil. At the time, I checked my supply and found no evidence of such so kinda dismissed the thought. Also, I had never in the past had any evidence of this.

Today, when about to mix a new batch of fuel, something made me look at the Sta-Bil again before adding it. You guessed it....red flakes in abundance. The bottom of the quart bottle was almost covered with them, and there were many in the measuring spout as well. (well, rats!)

Then I re-read the directions. Clearly printed in the middle of the back label was the statement; "Sta-Bil can be used for up to two years after opening the bottle".

I had a permanent marker notation on the bottle that it was purchased at Wal-Mart on 9/15/04, so it's almost exactly 3 years old. My need for stabilizer had diminished the past 2 years, or this bottle would have normally been used up before now. Let me add here that my Sta-Bil is stored in a garage where the temps are never extreme - max 85°, min 50°. Now I know...the previous "complaint" was valid, and it's time to buy a new supply.

Hope this info helps someone prevent a carb jet clog. Maybe these flakes would flow right through, but I'm not willing to take the chance.

Cordially offered,

Hal

Comments (17)

Sponsored
More Discussions