SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Restoring my vintage kitchen: Part 2

bayareafrancy
16 years ago

So here is part 2 of my tale of restoration. My brother-in-law arrived to build some custom units that were supposed to be in the style of the originals. He was to stay with us about a week. Lots of this time was used up by the brothers schmoozing...

Here again is the main sink wall.

Notice how that counter on the left is a few inches higher than the replacement sink unit? Well, we found some of the original cabinetry in the garage (rather rotten and molding). Seems the sink wall was always a bit lower, and that left side was elevated. Isn't that cute?? I loved it, and I very specifically said that I wanted the replacements to be the *original height* (thus keeping the higher area to the left).

Well, the B-I-L (who is very tall) decided both that it was too much trouble to deal with counters of different heights. And that I (at 5'6") would just love having cabinets at 37.5" high (almost 39" with counter added!).

When I saw the size of the first cabinet, I cried! But TheHusband said we were racing against the clock, and had no time to change anything now. B-I-L was building these inset cabs using only my husbands table saw, and the process was slow.

Because time was running out, the next problem came when he didn't even have time to build all the units at all. So he took one of the rotting original units he found, sanded it up a teeny bit, boosted it up to 37.5", and installed it. You can see this unit (called "the pinky" because of its color) on the end.

Here is The Pinky, on her own.

Note: being the old house lover that I am, I do actually have great fondness for The Pinky. I would never part with her. But she was to be used in the garage, since she is rather rotten and molding/smelly.

Finally came the horror of the custom dishwasher panel. I showed B-I-L numerous photos of how i wanted this panel to look. My ideas were disregarded. It was supposed to look like a tilt-out flour bin. It did not! And he goofed and installed the handle on the mock frame, rather than the mock door! But the worst part? Because my cabinets were now 37.5 high, the dishwasher had to actually sit up on blocks. The result was what I called "the flying dishwasher" with the EIGHT INCH toe kick!

I found a lovely old stove, and we installed it. We temporarily put another "pinky unit" next to the stove. And we were ready to move in. And I was heartbroken. This was not the kitchen I had envisioned at all! TheHusband said it would be fine once it was all painted. And that it was done and paid for, and we had to move on.

So we lived with it like this--unpainted (and getting grungy) and with plywood counters--for a year and a half. During this time I regularly showed TheHusband photos of what I wanted from "Bungalow Kitchens" and from here (like jgarner's kitchen). He maintained that we could not afford to hire someone new to come in and rebuild the cabinets. He already paid a couple thousand for the B-I-L's trip, and he wasn't willing to throw that money away.

But I kept begging...

And begging...

Finally, this past summer, we decided to get a soapstone countertop. I was completely fed up with the flimsy (temporary--only 1/4" thick), warped plywood counters of the past 18months! We selected our soapstone. We had the template done.

And then I just couldn't do it. I told TheHusband that the cabinets were not worthy of the beautiful soapstone counters, and that I could not live with them for the next 25 years.

And he agreed!!!

Part 3 coming next...At least, I hope it is!! My new cabinets should be installed next week!! And then maybe I'll actually have counters by the end of the year (though that might be too much to hope for...).

Francy

Comments (31)