SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taliaferro_gw

My KD came in at $180,000 when he knew my max was $150,000-PART2

taliaferro
16 years ago

Hello!

My first thread reached it's maximum of 150 posts, so this is Part 2.

**SUMMARY**:

After my KD presented me with a budget overage of $55,000. I asked him to make modifications to the cabinetry (which had speced at $80,000 for Quality Custom Cabinetry), to get me closer to my target budget. Well, he eliminated two banks of cabs originally intended for a message center and the microwave and also cut costs on the island by modifying some of the detailing on the apron portion of the island. These changes brought the cabinetry figure down to $66,000. One change in the revised plan that I find very problematic is the location of the microwave. He relocated the microwave to the island, however, it is now in the prep zone!

Although it shouldn't surprise me,the KD sent the revised plans together with the CONTRACT. It's my opinion that bundling the new plans with the contract is intended to convey a message and/or pressure me.

The next step for me is to shop the design (which I paid $1500 for) ELSEWHERE, because I really don't feel comfortable proceeding with this KD. Before doing so, I would be thrilled if some of you would look at my plans and give me some feedback/opinions, etc... Do you see any problems with the layout?

I am also entertaining the idea of just starting all over (without these plans) to see what another KD can come up with.

All opinions, comments, critcisms are WELCOME! Thank you!!!

The Layout:

{{!gwi}}

Island:

{{!gwi}}

Sink:

{{!gwi}}

Range:

{{!gwi}}

Food Storage/Refrigerator:

{{!gwi}}

Mudroom:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread: My KD came in at $180,000...

Comments (54)